Current:Home > NewsSurpassing:In Exxon Climate Fraud Case, Judge Rejects Defense Tactic that Attacked the Prosecutor -Capitatum
Surpassing:In Exxon Climate Fraud Case, Judge Rejects Defense Tactic that Attacked the Prosecutor
Burley Garcia View
Date:2025-04-06 23:13:16
ExxonMobil has suffered yet another setback in its legal fight to derail a climate fraud case by the New York Attorney General’s office.
A ruling on SurpassingWednesday by New York Supreme Court Judge Barry Ostrager prohibits Exxon from raising the claim of prosecutorial misconduct as a defense against allegations by the attorney general that the company engaged in a scheme to deceive investors by providing false or misleading assurances that it was managing economic risks posed by climate change.
In the wake of a four-count civil complaint last year, Exxon floated as one of many possible defenses contentions that the attorney general was selectively enforcing the law and violating what it said were the company’s First Amendment right to free speech and Fourteenth Amendment right to due process.
Exxon contended it became a target of prosecutors because its position on climate change did not align with that of the attorney general’s, and it said the attorney general’s office had colluded with climate activist organizations to punish the company. (The investigation was first opened by former attorney general Eric Schneiderman and continued by his successors.)
In a brief, handwritten ruling, Ostrager dismissed Exxon’s contention of prosecutorial conflict of interest and misconduct, but he left open the possibility of allowing the company to claim selective enforcement by prosecutors. The judge withheld his ruling on selective enforcement pending the filing of additional arguments.
Although the court’s action guts most of Exxon’s prosecutorial misconduct defense, the company remains poised to raise more than two dozen other defenses, including that it did not breach its duty to disclose relevant facts related to climate risk and that market conditions were responsible for any losses rather than any conduct by Exxon. A trial date has been set for Oct. 23.
The ruling on Wednesday parallels a decision last year by a federal court judge who rejected similar misconduct claims by Exxon. U.S. District Judge Valerie Caproni dismissed the company’s arguments, saying in part, there was no suggestion of a political vendetta by the authorities investigating Exxon.
veryGood! (6563)
Related
- Pregnant Kylie Kelce Shares Hilarious Question Her Daughter Asked Jason Kelce Amid Rising Fame
- Oregon man sentenced to death for 1988 murder is free after conviction reversed: A lot of years for something I didn't do
- Daughter of long-imprisoned activist in Bahrain to return to island in bid to push for his release
- As federal workers are ordered back to their offices, pockets of resistance remain
- Paris Hilton, Nicole Richie return for an 'Encore,' reminisce about 'The Simple Life'
- Dog food recall: Victor Super Premium bags recalled for potential salmonella contamination
- Texas heat brings the state’s power grid closest it has been to outages since 2021 winter storm
- Biden aims to use G20 summit and Vietnam visit to highlight US as trustworthy alternative to China
- Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
- Emily Ratajkowski Shares Advice on Divorcing Before 30 Amid Sophie Turner and Joe Jonas Breakup
Ranking
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Wendy's Frosty gets pumpkin spice treatment. Also new: Pumpkin Spice Frosty Cream Cold Brew
- Kim Sejeong is opening the 'Door' to new era: Actress and singer talks first solo album
- Bruce Springsteen postpones remaining September shows due to peptic ulcer
- McKinsey to pay $650 million after advising opioid maker on how to 'turbocharge' sales
- Portland State football player has 'ear ripped off' in loss to Oregon
- LSU, women's basketball coach Kim Mulkey agree to record 10-year, $36 million extension
- 24 children have died in hot cars nationwide in 2023: 'This is a great tragedy'
Recommendation
Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
Voting online is very risky. But hundreds of thousands of people are already doing it
New Jersey's Ocean City taps AI gun detection in hopes of thwarting mass shootings
US applications for unemployment benefits fall to lowest level in 7 months
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
As U.S. warns North Korea against giving Russia weapons for Ukraine, what could Kim Jong Un get in return?
A man is back in prison despite a deal reducing his sentence. He’s fighting to restore the agreement
Suspect arrested in brutal attack and sexual assault of Wisconsin university student